KaleidoKleio

Monday, April 03, 2006

Why I love movie soundtracks

Raine recently wrote a post about memorable movie scenes and as I was commenting on my own favourite movie scenes, I realized that all of them were connected to the music playing during that part of the movie. To me, the music score and soundtrack is one of the most essential parts of a good film. All of my favourite films have brilliant soundtracks. What's great about good soundtracks is that you're not always stuck to one particular genre of music, but all the tracks on it fuse together to create one general feeling or mood - so you get variety but in a way that (usually, if it's good) works.

By coincidence, I happened to be listening to the "Lost in Translation" soundtrack today, which is a brilliant example, except for the fact that there are a couple of tracks in the movie that didn't make it onto the official soundtrack album, including the best track in the film, "The State We're In" by The Chemical Brothers (from their Come with Us album). Anyway, when you fuse "The State We're In" with "Too Young" by Phoenix and "Just Like Honey" by The Jesus and Mary Chain (who I LOVE) and "Girls" by Death in Vegas, you end up with...well...perfection!

Some of my favourite movie soundtracks:
Lost in Translation
Beautiful Girls
Fame
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Garden State
Almost Famous
Human Traffic
Anita and Me
Ma Vie en Rose [1997]
About A Boy (which was all done by Badly Drawn Boy)
Reality Bites
Amelie
Romeo and Juliet
and, perhaps the best of all, In the Name of the Father.

I might be forgetting some, but what are your favourite soundtracks?

7 Comments:

  • I heart Almost Famous & Garden State's soundtracks. And I love Badly Drawn Boy!
    Well, lemme see if I can remember the soundtracks I like...
    - Grease: Yeah I know. But reminds me of a simpler time :P
    - Pulp Fiction
    - Dirty Dancing
    - The Jungle Book...you know what, throw that whole Disney collection my way. Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Lion King. Crap, I still remember the damned lyrics!
    - Reality Bites
    - Saturday Night Fever

    By Blogger Erzulie, at 4/03/2006 11:58 am  

  • my soundtracks:

    1)breakfast club
    2)pulp fiction
    3)oh brother where art thou
    4)grease (i hate to admit it)
    5)desperately seeking susan (ditto)
    6)i love ALL james bond songs
    7)moulin rouge
    8)almost famous
    9)sister act
    10)the good, the bad and the ugly

    not in any particular order. i'm sure there are more, but that's all i can think of from the top of my head.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/03/2006 12:08 pm  

  • erzulie: LOL about the Disney, although I have to totally disagree with you there! ;) I always say that Disney is where the careers of great musicians go to die (like Sting, and, as much as it pains me to say it because I love him, Elton John).

    But yeah, Grease rocks - forgot about that one! "Re-pro-duc-tion, reproduction! Make my stamen go berzerk!" Fun!

    Aren't BDB great? Do you like Belle and Sebstian?

    Edo rex: Oooh...Breakfast Club, forgot that! And St. Elmo's Fire! And Pretty in Pink! The whole John Hughes collection! Actually, he didn't do St. Elmo's but oh well...the brat pack series! I also like the "Never Been Kissed" soundtrack - it has that Morrissey song "Let Me Get What I Want" that was in Pretty in Pink but not on the soundtrack.

    By Blogger Kleio, at 4/03/2006 2:28 pm  

  • You know as I was writing my post I had the exact same realization - so many of my favorite scenes have to do with the music involved! I have always wished that life could come with a soundtrack... kind of like when you walk around with your walkman, but much more potent and not so confining! :)

    Anyway - my all time favorite soundtracks are:
    -Greencard
    -Beautiful Girls
    -Pretty in Pink
    -Romeo & Juliet
    -St. Elmo's Fire
    And I know there are so many more that I have forgotten!

    By Blogger Lola, at 4/03/2006 2:43 pm  

  • You are so right erzulie - Dirty Dancing and Grease are CLASSIC! And Reality Bites - I love that one!!!

    edo rex - Breakfast Club for sure!

    And Kleio - 'Let me Get What I want' IS on the Pretty in Pink soundtrack!

    By Blogger Lola, at 4/03/2006 2:46 pm  

  • Amelie
    Beautiful Girls
    Blue
    White
    Red
    Henry and June
    Hilary and Jackie
    Manhattan
    Olivier Olivier
    Pretty in Pink
    Pulp Fiction
    Reality Bites
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Stealing Beauty
    The Sweet Hereafter
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being
    Until the End of the World

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/03/2006 3:44 pm  

  • i cant believe i forgot to add They Yellow Submarine soundtrack...it's my fave soundtrack of ALL time. every song is a classic!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/06/2006 12:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home