KaleidoKleio

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Edo VIP


I still haven't found a sushi place here that gives me the same warm and happy feeling that Edo does, and especially one where you can eat so much for so little (money-wise). Five years ago, there only used to be two main sushi restaurants in Kuwait - Sakura and Kai. If you were a real sushi person, then you were a devoted customer of either one or the other (barely anyone I know liked both). We used to spend all our time at Sakura back in those days. Then Maki opened and everyone went nuts (although I never caught the Maki bug). And then Edo opened, and our lives changed forever. The original Edo gang that first started going there like every other night, from when it first opened, was just me and two others, S and A (part of the old Sakura gang). I can't remember what year it was - I think it was around 2003 (when everyone else was still all hyped up about Maki). We were the original Edo regulars - in fact, S and I were the first customers to ever sit outside in the garden. We used to go all the time and on most nights it was totally empty and I remember at the beginning we were scared that it was going to shut down - I guess now that Edo has become so popular that is no longer a problem. Now our table for three or four has turned into a table for 10 or 15! Edo was the place where we first converted JC to sushi-ism...he used to hate it before we came along! Aaaahhh the good old days. While I'm glad Edo has become so popular and they're doing so well, I do sometimes miss the old days. The beauty of Edo was that you'd go and barely ever see anyone you knew. Now, on most nights I walk in and literally know at least one person from nearly every single table in the joint. But I guess, at the end of the day, it's still ours...

How do you know if you're an Edo VIP? If you call to make a reservation or take-away order and the guy who answers the phone immediately knows who you are by name from the sound of your voice; if the waitress comes to your table (or your side of the table if you're in a big group) without a pen and pad; if you get a free meal before leaving town; if the valet guys let you park your car there even if you're going to the café next door (usually because he knows you'll end your night there anyway); if you go to another sushi restaurant in Kuwait (which will remain nameless) just to 'try something new' (and leave disappointed wishing you'd just gone to Edo), and the manager there knows you from back in the day when he used to be the manager of Edo; if you can personally request who you want to be your waitress when you call to make a reservation or when you first walk in; if you knew the waitress that got scared out of her mind for forgetting to put a lemon in a Diet Pepsi. So, are you an Edo VIP?

14 Comments:

  • I am... the guy who answers the phone always knows me. And the valet guy lets us do what we want. And they all knew that my O proposed to me there. But it has been so long since we last went there that I fear they may have forgotten us!

    By Blogger Lola, at 4/02/2006 7:39 am  

  • !!! EDO PRIDE !!!

    I am honored to be apart of the EDO VIP CROWD!

    JC and I tried Kei or Kai or whatever it's called to see what people were talking about and it was horrible! We couldn't finish our food! There's no place in Kuwait for Sushi better than EDO!

    By Blogger The Stallion, at 4/02/2006 9:04 am  

  • EDO ALL THE WAY!!!!!! I think I consider part of the EDO VIP crowd. Edo is our "Central Perk", just like "Friends" do. We need therapy? stress relief? What do we do? Edo! We can eat a gazzilion maki rolls and never feel sickly full like Maki and Sakura. I love it! (*sighs*).

    Stallion...dont remind me! It was unedible!!! Its true we wanted to see what the hype is all about, and now we have proof that ppl dont know what they talking about when they say Edo sucks! For gods sake...even the Edemame was weird, how can ppl go wrong with that!

    Edo baby!! EDO!!!

    By Blogger Jazz Central, at 4/02/2006 12:14 pm  

  • guys...i am the ORIGINAL Edo VIP. i introduced EVERYONE to edo. i'm not going to mention who i am, but if you have EVER been to Edo, you know it's because i invited you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/02/2006 12:18 pm  

  • Raine: I was gonna put that on the VIP list too, about being proposed to there! :)

    Stallion & JC: Kai sucks! Haven't we taught you yet? Stop trying other sushi places and just go to Edo!

    Edo Rex - You da man!! You, me, and lemon-in-the-diet-pepsi boy will always be the VVIPs! LOL! :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 4/02/2006 3:21 pm  

  • I have only been there once. Although I am a Maki VIP. Does that count?

    By Blogger adorra, at 4/02/2006 4:56 pm  

  • you know you're an edo vip when you remember moon and the lemon incident

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/02/2006 6:33 pm  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Jazz Central, at 4/02/2006 6:45 pm  

  • I have been taught enough. Edo is the place...I preach Edo-ism to the masses! We did not go to Kai to specifically test it, we happened to close by and it was a last minute decision. Trust me, if I was sushi...no questions asked...non-stop Edo baby!!!

    Now I wanna know what moon and lemon incident!!!!

    By Blogger Jazz Central, at 4/02/2006 6:50 pm  

  • Adorra: Maki shmaki! ;) You gotta try Edo again - once you do you won't go back! Maki is too small! Btw, are they still playing the J.Lo DVD non-stop (as you can see I haven't been there in years!)?

    Anonymous: LOL! Maskeeena!!

    JC: Remember how much you hated sushi when we first started to convert you? :) See, non of y'all are REAL Edo VIP's since you don't know about moon and the lemon incident! Hee hee hee.

    By Blogger Kleio, at 4/03/2006 12:36 am  

  • I have to admit that that place is peachy :) I don't know the rolls' names but I love that crunchy one. My brother and I ordered another tray when we devoured the first one in seconds :P~

    By Blogger Erzulie, at 4/03/2006 12:39 am  

  • The Edo Crispy Maki...TO DIE FOR!! Yummmmmmmmmmy! It's got shredded crab on the inside and the roll is then dipped in tempura batter crumbs. We usually get several orders of that one! If you like eel (unagi), or if you haven't had it but are willing to try it (it's very good and not fishy), try their Tokyo roll.

    By Blogger Kleio, at 4/03/2006 12:47 am  

  • haha kleio NO! It's not on Melody. I don't think it's too small. It's juuust right!

    By Blogger adorra, at 4/03/2006 3:20 pm  

  • It is nice and cosy, which normally I like, but at Maki I feel like everyone's kind of watching you. Although to be fair I haven't been there in years (since the J.Lo DVD days!) so maybe it's not quite like that anymore. They have one hand-held maki that is excellent - can't remember what it's called.

    By Blogger Kleio, at 4/03/2006 7:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home