KaleidoKleio

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

When it rains, it pours

I have a mouse in my flat. I HAVE A GODDAM MOUSE IN MY FLAT!!! I spotted it running behind the oven/washer area in my kitchen tonight. WHAT MORE COULD HAPPEN TO ME THIS WEEK? Last Tuesday it was my washing machine, and tonight, a mouse. I don't get it. Nobody in London keeps their flat cleaner than me. Apparently it has nothing to do with how clean you keep your flat, if they make it into the building it's fair game.

What happened was a couple of hours ago my trash bag was full so I tied it up and removed it from the trashcan and put it to the side - I can't take out my trash to the street until around 8pm every night because I'm in a commercial area. Anyway, so I was sitting in my living room and heard a rustling in my kitchen and when I stood up to go see what it was I saw the mouse run from the bag to behind the oven. Sure enough, there were little teeth marks at the bottom of the bag.

Anyway, I called a pest control company and they said they charge £275 to come out at night, and the guy said that just because I saw it there's no guarantee they'll see it now that it's gone back into hiding, and yet they'd still charge me that much. I got through to the maintenance guy from my landlord's office and he said to call the Camden city council people and they have a pest control service. But of course, they're closed for the night so I have to wait till the morning. In the meantime, the guy I spoke to from the pest control company told me to turn on my radio and put it on the floor of my kitchen and the vibrations would keep the mouse from coming out again.

While sitting up on my kitchen counter and squealing into the phone to a friend I had called for moral support, I had to pick up the bag and put it into another bag so that I could take it outside. What an ordeal.

It is at times like this that I hate living alone. There's nothing I can do but wait till the morning. I have an essay I was hoping to finish tonight but now I'm so distracted it's gonna be hard to keep writing. I'm walking around my flat with my big 14-eyelet boots laced up over my pants combat-style (just in case). I know the chances of it coming back out are slim, but I just don't like the idea that there is another heartbeat in my flat with me tonight. Aaaaarrrggghhhhh!!!

4 Comments:

  • So did you name him yet?

    You can go for Mighty Mouse or Speedy Gonzalez?! :oP

    By Blogger The Stallion, at 3/22/2006 7:29 am  

  • Hey Speedy Gonzalez is mine!!! Kleio gave me that name! hehehehe

    I say, get a tiny black cap with round ears and slip it some tiny white gloves and call the mouse Micky!

    This way, now is your chance to actually walk straight up at it and yell..."I boycott you...I boycott you!!!" (while stomping your feet on the ground)

    hehehehe...would love to see that!

    By Blogger Jazz Central, at 3/22/2006 10:08 am  

  • "I just don't like the idea that there is another heartbeat in my flat with me tonight."

    That is HILARIOUS!

    After you called me and I hurried you off the phone because I was going to bed I must have felt guilty, because then I kept dreaming that you were on the phone and I could not talk to you!

    Give us an update about whether or not they catch the mouse today! Poor you - what a week!

    By Blogger Lola, at 3/22/2006 1:21 pm  

  • Stallion: I have named him Lewis, after Bernard Lewis (a Middle East "historian" who I HATE), who is actually more of a rat but I'll probably never get a chance to a name a rat so I'll settle for a disgusting little brown mouse (at least I HOPE I'll never get to name a rat!).

    JC: That's so funny about the boycott thing! "You filthy little racist!"

    Raine: I barely slept all night. I had shut the living room door and stuffed big cushions underneath, and I searched my entire room before getting into bed (under the bed, behind the doors, in every nook and cranny), but I still couldn't really sleep.

    Anyway, I'm waiting for pest control to arrive now (sent by my landlord) but I have to leave to class in half an hour and they're not here yet!

    Oh...spoke to soon they're here!!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 3/22/2006 1:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home