KaleidoKleio

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Spring...almost

I've been venting (reading: bitching) about stuff going on here too much these days, and I don't want people to get the wrong impression about how I feel about this city. I absolutely love London, and I love living in London - it's just that sometimes life here can get so stressful and tiring, especially when you have academic pressures on top of it all. But then suddenly, out of nowhere, you'll be walking down the street and something will suddenly remind you about how much you love this city. I had another one of those moments today. The weather has been getting warmer these days, and today was absolutely gorgeous. Blue skies, white fluffy clouds, a nice cool breeze, and the sun was shining. I had an errand to run on Oxford Street today and I was walking along the busy Friday afternoon streets, with only a light jacket on, with swarms of people bustling about, with my iPod on, and I suddenly felt in a better mood than I've felt in weeks. It's almost spring, and I'm starting to feel it - that wonderful energy you get when spring suddenly descends upon the city and you can finally take your coats off the coat rack in the entrance hall and pack them away in the suitcase under your bed. Restaurants, café's, and pubs have put their tables back outside, and people were sitting around today having an afternoon pint and enjoying the end of winter. Winter seemed never ending, and it was damn cold this year (apparently one of the coldest winters London has had in years). I love this weather now - when it's not quite warm enough to leave the house without a light jacket, you're still wearing your sweaters and Doc Martens, but you're no longer bundled up under layers of coats and scarves.

It's so true how the weather can totally change your state of mind. It was such a shame I had to walk back to the library this afternoon and hit the books.

7 Comments:

  • It has been that way here in Kuwait for a few weeks now... We have really been soaking it up... Le Pain Quotidien for breakfast every weekened... and now we will be using the outdoor pool at the Corniche! But we do not get that same spring feeling. It is trully amazing how one's body and mind seem to respond to spring! *sigh*

    By Blogger Lola, at 4/01/2006 8:47 pm  

  • Is it hot in Kuwait now? Are you guys still wearing cardigans at night or is it full on summer?

    By Blogger Kleio, at 4/01/2006 10:53 pm  

  • It is almost full on heat. Maybe sometimes at night a light cardigan, but less and less. Now you need cardigans indoors because the bloody ACs are on!

    By Blogger Lola, at 4/01/2006 11:02 pm  

  • kuwait's been amazing for the past couple of weeks. i would describe the weather as being liberal, in a conservative way. perfect chalet weather for the capitalistically conscious marxist ;P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/02/2006 1:11 am  

  • Raine: I've finally turned off my heat. It's still cold inside my flat but now with the heater on it gets too hot, so why waste gas? I just bundle up!

    Loco: I'm inclined to think that I know you, because it seems as though you know me, "the capitalistically conscious Marxist." LOL! (I wonder how many people out there actually get the humour.) Whoever you are, welcome to my blog!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 4/02/2006 2:42 am  

  • kleio, i can't reveal my identity because it might influence your opinion on whatever i say. all i am going to add is that i am a marxist/communist/capitalist/deconstructionalist(same thing, really) socio-economo-polical enthusiast. :)

    more about me:

    fave restaurant: Lorenzo (edo crowd is so fake)
    fave shoe brand: PRADA (they are anti-fur, i think)
    fave music: Britanny (because her music can be taken on so many levels)
    fave movie: titanic (i hate hollywood films)
    fave place to vacation: Bond Street, London. (because i love to hang out with the REAL Londoners)

    i hope that gives you an idea about who i am and where i'm coming from.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/02/2006 12:42 pm  

  • All I'm going to say is LOOOOOL!!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 4/02/2006 3:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home