KaleidoKleio

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Update on Lewis

The pest control guy just came. He was the same guy who came by about a month ago who had told me I had the cleanest flat in the building. Anyway, I told him what happened with the mouse and he said it had probably been a random incident since they had been here a few weeks ago and hadn't seen anything. Anyway, he checked behind the fridge, under the oven, etc, and no mouse - he also didn't find any droppings or any signs that it was a regular visitor there. He said most probably this was just one isolated incident by chance. He put down about four rodent poison boxes. I asked if that meant I was going to come home one day to find a dead mouse in the box and he said no, that they eat the poison, it makes them feel sick, and so they go back to their nesting place to die (which he said is most probably somewhere in the walls). Good news (!!) is they decompose within a couple of days so there shouldn't be any smell.

I asked if he had ever been called out to this building before other than for their routine checks. He said yes, that the people upstairs have had a few problems. Then he looked around and said that, as he told me before, my place is absolutely immaculate, and that if I saw some of the other flats in the building I would be disgusted (I'm pretty sure he was referring to upstairs because it's just them and the old lady downstairs, whose flat was...well...not to my standards by far, but relatively OK). So, again, it was probably just an isolated incident. I asked if the mouse might have come through when they had removed my washing machine from the pipe in the wall last week to replace it, and he said possibly. But that a normal mouse can get through a hole/crack as small as the diameter of a normal pencil!! Holy crap!

Anyway, he checked the rest of my flat and said there were absolutely no signs that I had any rodent problem at all and that everything was fine. What a relief. I was searching the web last night and saw a site that said that one mouse can multiply very quickly within a matter of a couple of weeks (into dozens), so all night I had visions of mice swarming around my flat!! Glad that this is (hopefully) all over.

Let's see what next Tuesday has in store for me (since this is turning into a weekly fiasco trend)!

6 Comments:

  • I think you should name your phantom mouse Lewis. Like the 'Ricky Thumbtack' rabbit! Remember those snowy days??!

    By Blogger Lola, at 3/23/2006 11:28 pm  

  • Ummm...I've already named him Lewis. That's why this post was called "Update on Lewis". Ricky Thumbtack rocked!! Remember why I called him that? Richard after my surgeon and thumbtack, well, because of my thumb tack!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 3/24/2006 4:30 am  

  • Ricky - No sh&* sherlock ;) Hahahahahaha!

    And by "Update on Lewis" I thought you were refering to the exterminator guy - DUHme! :)

    By Blogger Lola, at 3/24/2006 7:32 pm  

  • Hi :) Just read your blogs on Lewis - there's mouse running around our department in the university as well. I have perfected jumping up onto my chair in a fraction of a second (even when wearing a fitted skirt!) Apparently my loud high-pitched screams have greatly amused my other colleagues. It's the first time I've seen some of them smile, lol. The mouse made its appearance in my office 3 times. Now everytime something moves, I jump (Raine - like the tassels in your fridge!!! hahahaha). Good luck with it - I totally know the paranoia you felt when you first saw it ... I'm still nervous, as I'm not sure that it was the same mouse that entered 3 times ... or a different one each time. I think they should wear name tags!

    By Blogger PlumPetals, at 3/24/2006 10:34 pm  

  • Raine: LOL! Dumb ass. :)

    Plumpetals: We had mice for a while at the place where I worked in Kuwait too. Best way to see if they're still around - look out for droppings!! :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 3/25/2006 5:25 am  

  • The decomposing mouse corpse??? A little too much information!! Ugh!!! What a bloody nightmare!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/26/2006 10:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home