KaleidoKleio

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

It's March

I can't believe we are a full week into March. I have been here for more than seven months. I only have two more weeks of coursework, then it's all exam revision and finalizing essays, then dissertation. I can't believe it has all gone by so quickly. It's so scary, because to think of the amount of work I have left between now and May is mind-boggling.

I've been having a stressful week (and it's only Tuesday!). I'm finishing up a paper, finalizing my PhD proposal, working on scholarship applications, all the while freaking out about upcoming exams. Meanwhile, the university still hasn't released the exam schedule yet (they are anywhere between early May and early June!!). Also, all faculty across the country were officially on strike today, and a boycott of assessment (meaning they will not mark any coursework until demands are met) begins tomorrow. God knows how the rest of the term is gonna turn out!

Yesterday I nearly had a mini-breakdown from stress. My life is now at that point where I have so much work to do that every single minute of the day has to be accounted for - no more leisure time other than mealtimes. By the time I went to bed last night I felt so overwhelmed, like I should be doing work instead of sleeping, that I actually took my PowerBook to bed with me thinking I'd write some more before sleeping. But instead, I started looking at pictures from Kuwait. And it did me a world of good. Looking at pictures from chalet, Kubbar, gatherings, pool parties, dinners at Edo, Mitla3 ... friends, family, and my P - it reminded me that I need to relax. That this is only one part of my life and that I'm here because I want to be here, doing what I love, and once I'm done in another 1 1/2 years I get to go back to my life, to my P, and start.

But the next three months are gonna be hell!!

On the upside of things, my proposal is coming along very nicely. The topic I am researching/writing on is completely new and original and has pretty much never been done before (in my region of specialization), so hopefully (fingers crossed) that will help in terms of scholarships and grants. My supervisor is absolutely wonderful. I am actually really lucky to have the opportunity to be working with her. Not only is she one of the few academics out there who specializes in my particular field of history (and certainly the only one at my university), she is one of the best there is in the field, and our specific areas of interest coincide very nicely. I'm excited to start working on my research. Just gotta get through this coursework first!

7 Comments:

  • Sorry to read what you are going through but I was happy to see that the pictures came in handy! Yalla come back! :oP

    By Blogger The Stallion, at 3/08/2006 7:47 am  

  • My advice to you: don't let the stress get you down or else you will end up associating the work you love with stress and lose your sense of fun. Even the intense deadlines and incredible challenges can be invigorating and inspiring. It's the kind of stress I actually miss—instead of worrying about paying all the bills, sorting out business stuff, worrying about family, AND teaching and doing my own research. Now that's the kind of stress that gets you down. ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!! And spring is just around the corner. All will feel better in about a month or so.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/08/2006 10:01 am  

  • "IT DIDN'T GO THROUGH!!!!!!!!"

    Classic...simply classic...

    I aim to please :)

    By Blogger Jazz Central, at 3/08/2006 1:19 pm  

  • Stallion: The pics were fantastic! They did the trick. :)

    Red: Yes, that's what I keep telling myself whenever I feel overwhelmed. I'm here because I love it, no-one is keeping score but me, and it's nothing I can't handle. But you know how it gets sometimes! And I do have some of the other stuff too: paying bills (so many it's not even funny!), worrying about family and everyone in Kuwait (it's that OCD thing we sisters have where we freak out at the tiniest thing - like today I was in the library and took out my phone and saw three missed calls from Kuwait and my heart immediately dropped to the floor - I even msged Raine to see if there was anything going on. Turned out to just be a coincidence, but it adds to the mental sress - and P can vouch for that!). What I am most excited about is my own research part - now that's REALLY gonna be a labour of love! 3 more months...3 more months...

    JC: You rock. Seriously. When I watched that video it made me laugh so much, just on my own, laying in bed, and it helped me fall asleep with a smile. Everytime I think about it I laugh out loud. And I watch it about every five hours or so for comic relief. Thank you for your oh-so-JC antics!! It's right up there with "Where do waves come from?", "It's a donut, sir!", and the best one: "MOO JIDDAM INNAS!!" LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 3/08/2006 8:42 pm  

  • Yes - worry is in our veins, I believe! But to cheer you up - read my latest post :)

    By Blogger Lola, at 3/09/2006 7:52 pm  

  • Just take it one day at a time & make sure you do take a bit of time to relax -- it may stress you out at times, but it'll pay off in the long run. Good luck :)

    By Blogger PlumPetals, at 3/10/2006 11:39 pm  

  • allah ya3tich il 3afye yakhti ;)

    miss u and i know u will get through this...

    By Blogger Rampurple, at 3/12/2006 7:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home