KaleidoKleio

Thursday, January 12, 2006

mish-mash

My presentation this morning went very well. Giving (academic) presentations is one of my forté's. That's two presentations done, one more to go for the year.

I like my new group of friends here. We have a Wednesday ritual - every week after class ends at 1:30 a group of us (usually four or five) go next door to one girl's place and have tea and cook lunch and just talk and laugh, and then eventually study. Today our professor joined us in our little ritual. There are two of them in that class that I have grown closest to, and have actually developed a real affection for - proper friends. It's so much harder making actual friends (not just acquaintances or people in your programme, but real friends who you enjoy spending time with) as a postgrad. I guess it's just about getting older too. You already have the people in your life that you love and care about, and who you trust and feel comfortable and happy around, and once you have that and feel secure in it, you really don't feel like putting in too much of an effort to start all over again. So when you actually meet people who you immediately feel that same sort of comfort around, it's wonderful. It's an extra added bonus to being here, doing what I love.

Suffice it to say, everyone here is just dying to come to Kuwait to visit. N and I do a good job of making Kuwait seem like Club Tropicana. But the great thing is, we're not lying or exaggerating - that's what our lives in Kuwait are truly like! Kuwait's fun, I don't care what anyone says. If you have a good group of people around you, you can live a pretty great life. Take it from someone who has lived on either coast of the U.S., and now in London.

I miss chalet.

4 Comments:

  • Thank you for your comment! Lots to reply to...

    I love London as well. Sometimes it can be an exhausting city to live in, and only people who have really had to LIVE here, on their own, for an extended period of time, understand that. But, as much as living here can be exhausting, it's also a fantastic city to be in, especially as a student (postgraduate). There is so much going on, and even just staying at home in my lovely flat on my tiny street cooking dinner and reading or watching TV is wonderful! It's a hard city to feel lonely in, and it is certainly one of the only cities in the "western" world that I would want to live in anymore (along with Paris and Prague).

    I also get annoyed with Kuwaitis who always insult Kuwait – especially the ones who still think that hating Kuwait is the “cool” thing to do. I got over that in high school, but I know so many people in their late 20s who still do that! But also, when I talk to non-Kuwaitis, like my friends here, about Kuwait, I don't just try to talk it up or exaggerate things (or lie) to deliberately make Kuwait look good. Everything I say about Kuwait is 100% the truth. When it comes to things that I am critical about in the country, socially and politically, I am honest about that too. Like I mentioned once before, it’s not about “patriotism”. No one is more critical of Kuwait than I am when it comes to the large number of things we have wrong in the country, and I talk about these things very openly, academically, at conferences, with friends, etc. But the reason I think I am so critical of the things I see wrong is precisely because I do love Kuwait as much as I do. If I didn’t love the place, I wouldn’t care, and all I would do is sit and insult it rather than commit myself to finding solutions. And that leads me to my next comment…

    I think what you and your husband are doing is wonderful. I just visited your site and I am so happy to see young Kuwaitis taking on something like this. Spreading awareness to children on these issues is crucial. I am impressed that you read to your son – so many Kuwaiti parents out there just don’t see the importance in this and let their kids spend their entire day watching TV and playing video games, and then once they get older they spend their entire evening at Marina Mall. I also love the fact that part of your goal is to spread environmental awareness. Water conservation, littering, pollution caused by the over-use of cars – I think you should do an adult series as well! Also, teaching children (and adults) about human rights issues is important as well, when it comes to their treatment of foreign labourers (both domestic and in services like wait staff at restaurants, etc.). What I appreciate most of all is that you identified a problem, and instead of just complaining you are actually doing something about it. I doff my hat to you and your husband, and your little boy is lucky to have parents like you.

    As for things to do around Kuwait – my friends and I are Kuwait’s best tour guides! ☺ If it’s a boat trip to Kubbar, a picnic up in Mitla3, or a tour of the museums and sites you want, send your out-of-town guests our way! Maybe this is something I should use my blog for – once a week I will feature a new “Something to do in Kuwait” post. Hmmm…something to think about…

    By Blogger Kleio, at 1/14/2006 6:20 pm  

  • Hey Kalei, its the 17th Jan already and I háve been patiently waiting since 11th to read your next blog entry. I like your snippets about Kuwait and life in London.

    By Blogger JP, at 1/17/2006 9:51 pm  

  • Thanks jags mollu. :) I've been a bit busy with studying but I will post soon. Had no idea that my blog was being read by anyone out there other than my sisters and like three or four friends who are interested! Puts a bit more pressure to actually write something interesting...

    By Blogger Kleio, at 1/18/2006 4:17 am  

  • Hi there! Just a note to say it was great hanging out in London :) Maybe I will come again over Spring Break if I can! Miss you :)

    By Blogger Lola, at 1/18/2006 11:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home