KaleidoKleio

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Christmas on Oxford Street


I just love this city. There are so many different dimensions to it - so many different ways and reasons to love it. Today's London experience: I pushed through the doors of the Bond Street tube station onto Oxford Street to do some last minute shopping and as I walked out onto the street, with my iPod on of course, a sublimely happy feeling rushed over me. The street was totally shut off to cars (to make Christmas shopping easier, which they've done a couple of times the past few weekends), and today it was PACKED (you can see the enormous swarm of heads stretching all the way down the street). I don't know why I got such a warm rush of happiness come over me. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood, the weather was icy cold and fresh, the song on my iPod was fab, and I just felt glad to be a part of London. This picture doesn't do justice to the colors, sounds, smells, and feeling on the street. But it was the best I could quickly do with a huge crowd of people behind me! I don't make it out to Oxford Street that often because it's just so crowded all the time and under normal circumstances those kinds of crowds bug me because I'm always in a hurry. I usually do my shopping (if ever!) in Covent Garden or Camden Town. But today, I put my crowded shopping pet peeves aside and thoroughly enjoyed my evening.

1 Comments:

  • Wow - spectacular! I love London, too. It is everything that I thought New York would be when I went there for the first time... but I was sorely disappointed. But when I first went to London - electricity... so much to see and so much to do and so many different people and languages and tastes and experiences. It was not an illusion of a city, it was THE CITY. Love it. Love it.

    By Blogger Lola, at 12/18/2005 4:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home