KaleidoKleio

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Breakthroughs

Series of major and mini breakthroughs for the day:

Academic breakthrough (major): I have had a pretty good idea of the general topic I would like to research for my PhD, but I have been thinking up a sub-idea to write my MA dissertation on. The way I am working on it with my supervisor is that my MA dissertation will in some way inform my PhD dissertation (which is expected but is not always required). Anyway, today I was re-reading a book I have read before but for a different research project, and I came across something that suddenly triggered an idea in my head. The more I thought it through, the more it made sense, and it is a perfect topic to do my MA dissertation on as it will relate to my PhD topic. I immediately started writing my ideas out and came up with about two pages of preliminary notes – my proposal in the making! I’m going to sleep on it, re-read what I wrote in the morning, and then if I’m still happy with it I will do some background research before I pitch the idea to my supervisor. I see another research trip to Kuwait happening in March…

London breakthrough (not-so-major): I finally found a café that is open past 7pm that is perfect to sit and study in. Most café’s close at around 7pm here, surprisingly, so to find one that is open till 9:30pm was a great find (sometimes I need a break from the library and a good café that is conducive to studying is the next best thing). Oddly enough it is only like 2 minutes walking from my flat – I have been in there before to grab a cup of coffee to go but never realized they had a huge seating area downstairs. It was great – quiet, cozy, and non-smoking (the upstairs section I had always seen when getting coffee is a smoking area and it is too smokey and hazy to sit for more than 5 mins) – N and I spent about 5 hours there today.

Music breakthrough (minor): I finally got a hold of the name of a song I’ve been looking for for a while. I had heard the song a while ago and the voice was familiar but I couldn’t place it, and only half of one line stuck in my head: *something, something* “good for her”. I heard it again today and managed to get the rest of the line (“that he could be good for her”) and googled it and found it immediately – “Thrown Down” by Fleetwood Mac. Downloaded it and I'm listening to it now. The song is fine but I love the chorus – its gives me a warm, happy feeling for some reason.

2 Comments:

  • Did you ever get a reply about the tense and "understanding"?

    By Blogger Tooomz, at 1/22/2006 2:28 pm  

  • Hahaha no not yet. I predict I won't hear back from him before Monday. Which means I gotta start reading today with BOTH interpretations in mind.

    By Blogger Kleio, at 1/22/2006 3:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home