KaleidoKleio

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Phobias

I found a list of phobias online (don’t ask why) that gives the proper “scientific” name for an endless number of…umm…legitimate fears. Now, I really don’t think all of these are legitimate fears – the guy must have made some up – but a lot of them either are definitely or at least sound legitimate, so you never know! Otherwise this guy had waaaaay too much free time on his hands! I actually have some of these phobias (some of which I didn’t even know existed in quasi-scientific terms!). Anyway, there are some highlights that I just had to share because they are laugh-out-loud funny. This is all in good humour and I sincerely hope I don’t offend anyone reading this who might actually have one of these fears (if you do have any of the fears below I truly hope that you are seeing somebody about it). Here it goes (the parenthetical comments are my own):

Aibohphobia - Fear of palindromes – not necessarily an actual word; aiboh is not of course Greek or Latin for Palindrome, but is simply intended to make the word itself palindromic. (FYI: a palindrome is a word, phrase, verse, or sentence that reads the same backward or forward.)

Alliumphobia - the abnormal fear of garlic that may extend to a variety of plants characterized by their pungent odor including onions, leeks, chives, and shallots. Allium is the onion genus. (Garlic? What if it comes out of a tube? My sisters will get the joke.)

Allodoxaphobia - Fear of opinions. (I think everyone on our Parliament has this one.)

Anemophobia - Fear of air. (That one’s gotta suck.)

Anthrophobia, Anthophobia - Fear of flowers. (They watched Alice in Wonderland as a kid.)

Arachibutyrophobia - Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth. (Yeah, I got this one.)

Atelophobia - Fear of imperfection. (I really do have this one.)

Aulophobia - Fear of flutes. (Hmmmm…maybe someone had a bad experience at band camp.)

Autophobia, Eremophobia, Ermitophibia, Isolophobia, Monophobia - Fear of being alone or fear of oneself. (That’s gotta suck as bad as fear of air. Can you imagine if you had both?)

Bolshephobia - Fear of Bolsheviks. (Hey!)

Bathophobia - Fear of depth. (I know lots of people with this one! They prefer to remain nice and shallow.)

Bibliophobia - Fear of books. (Finally we have a name for our social condition!)

Blennophobia, Myxophobia - Fear of slime. (These were kids who used to be on Nickelodeon in the 1980s.)

Button phobia - Fear of buttons. (Well, when you think about it…they are kind of weird.)

Cacophobia - Fear of ugliness. (Abso-friggin-lutely!)

Cathisophobia, Kathisophobia, Thaasophobia - Fear of sitting. (Thank goodness for Turkish toilets.)

Chelonaphobia - Fear of turtles. (I have that. I really do.)

Chinophobia - Fear of Chinese people, customs, etc. (No comment. Oh, found out my neighbours are Chinese, btw, not Korean.)

Chronophobia - Fear of time. (Jazz Central must have this one.)

Dextrophobia - Fear of objects at the right side of the body. (LOL!)

Dikephobia - Fear of justice. (Another one for our MPs.)

Doxophobia - Fear of expressing opinions or receiving praise. (You got this one if you graduated from the Kuwaiti government school system.)

Euphobia - Fear of hearing good news. (Huh?)

Eurotophobia - Fear of female genitalia. (Sucks if you’re a woman. Sucks if you're a straight man, too.)

Europhobia - Fear of Europe, Europeans, or alternatively, the European Union. (The EU – Hahahahahahahahahaha!!)

Genuphobia - Fear of knees. (Cool. If anyone has a fear of knees please leave me a comment. I’d like to meet you. Seriously.)

Hegelophobia - Fear of Hegel. (Marx must have spent his life looking over his shoulder, waiting for a pissed off Hegel to creep up on him, twist his arm, and yell: “Flip it back! Flip my dialectic back!” That must be where the phobia came from.)

Heresyphobia, Hereiophobia - Fear of challenges to official doctrine or of radical deviation. (Oh geez, we know too many of these to list.)

Levophobia - Fear of things to the left side of the body. (Can you imagine if you had that and dextrophobia? Hee hee hee!)

Papaphobia - Fear of the Pope. (Povero papa!)

Pogonophobia, Pognophobia - Fear of beards. (I HAVE THIS ONE! Stick a mini-dishdasha into the mix and you’ll see me run so fast you’ll develop Tachophobia - Fear of speed.)

That was a nice little study break. Here’s the link for you to play around with. Enjoy! Shall we see if we can come up with some of our own? I'll start - Niqabophobia: Fear of mitnaqbas or people dressed like ninjas.

7 Comments:

  • Lol, nice post.
    I have a fear of worms and sharks, thanks to childhood experiences and watching "Jaws" when I was 7. Pognophobia...sheesh. Kinda like fear of being stoned. I don't blame foreigners to wince when they see one comin' at 'em.

    By Blogger Erzulie, at 4/23/2006 8:16 am  

  • OK - First off, your comments on each fear were HILARIOUS! They made my day!!!

    As for the fear of knees... Hello?!! Our cousin!

    And finally, here are my additions:
    ignophobia - fear of ignorance
    (the vegetable, glazed eye look we see too often in Kuwait!)
    arrogantaphobia - fear of arrogance (think of the arrogant bastards who think they can bypass a line and u-turn before us all!)
    hypocriphobia - fear of hypocrisy (do I need to explain this one?!)
    mullaphobia - fear of mullas (I fealt the beard one was not clear enough - I mean, Santa has a beard, so we have to be more specific)

    This is fun! I could go on all day :)

    By Blogger Lola, at 4/23/2006 9:17 am  

  • for a second i read niqabophobia as nibaqophobia! was wondering was nibaq did to u!!

    loved ur comments... and oh... JC is no longer time phobic... he has improved... with his attitude :P

    By Blogger Rampurple, at 4/23/2006 11:02 am  

  • Aham shay JC has a fear of time(Chronophobia)...I dont fear it...i just like taking advantage of it :)

    but seriously..."Europhobia" - Fear of Europe or Europeans? LOL....cant believe these actually exist!

    Great post!

    By Blogger Jazz Central, at 4/23/2006 2:54 pm  

  • Erzulie: Worms? Hehehe. I have a severe fear of beetles. I mean, I get paralyzed and hyperventilate when I see one.

    Raine: But she's scared of other people touching her own knees. I interpreted the phobia as a fear of knees in general - as a thing. I might be wrong. :) Good additions! It is fun, isn't it?

    Rampurple: LOL nibaqophobia! And about JC: I prefer the time thing to the attitude thing!

    JC: Speedy gonzales. Are you fixing the attitude? :) There were fears of all sorts of nationalities but I thought the fear of the EU thing was hilarious! Well, it's funny to us postgrad geeks at ______ (<-- name of my uni).

    By Blogger Kleio, at 4/23/2006 3:15 pm  

  • Shady: I like politicophobia. And in fact, I'm gonna add hyperpoliticophobia, an even more extreme case, which is the fear or abnormal dislike of political science/scientists. Most of us historians have that one! Funny because I was just having this conversation with two friends from my history programme, like an hour ago. The shock that we feel whenever we come into contact with the postgrad politics students at my university - man, the majority of them (I will admit there are some normal ones, but few) are just living on a totally different planet! Do they actually HEAR themselves?? And the ones I see everyday are supposedly the cream of their crop. *shudder* Sorry you hit a nerve! (Damn, I hope you're not a political scientist!)

    Nice additions to the list! :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 4/26/2006 12:47 am  

  • Trypophobia- Fear of holes

    =[[[ i have this. It is AWFUL to live with.

    By Anonymous alex, at 5/06/2010 4:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home