KaleidoKleio

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Brain Drain

I have reached a level of mental stress that I have never experienced before in my life (not to be confused with emotional, and also physical, stress, which are quite different). Mental stress is exhausting - it breaks you down in ways that you don't expect. And I'm in it - right smack in the middle of it. My brain is in shock. And yet it's impossible to slow it down right now. And it's not just about all the work I have to do in the next few months - although that is a huge factor. But coupled onto that is all the other stuff - planning, organizing, doing preliminary background research on the feasibility of my upcoming research (don't even ask), and just thinking, reading, thinking, reading, thinking, thinking, THINKING. Usually my brain can prioritize and manage things in a very rigidly organized way; anyone who has ever worked with me knows that while my desk would always be messy as hell, piled high with papers, when it came to getting the job done I would do it with a very narrow margin of error (and I'd usually catch those errors before going from PPRD to PROD, to print, or publication!) because my brain was right on top if it. But now my brain is just staring back at me saying "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?" Oh, I know I'll get it done, hopefully with the same minimal margin of error - the question is will I manage to get it done without throwing a bottle out my window at 2am at the drunken louts on my street?

7 Comments:

  • Someone needs a chill pill! Time for us to go Buzzing! :oP

    By Blogger The Stallion, at 2/14/2006 8:28 am  

  • Bubbles, bubbles for everyone I say! ;) Aaah...the good ole' days!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 2/15/2006 7:04 am  

  • YAY!

    Bubbles... check!
    Lights... check!
    Inhaler... check!
    Gum... check!
    Mints... check!
    A bag of fun goodies... check!

    By Blogger The Stallion, at 2/15/2006 7:59 am  

  • But now my brain is just staring back and me saying "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?"

    I can so visualize you right now - you know when your neck goes back when you are surprised or taken aback by something?! Especially when your response is negatory!Hahahaha! And I can hear the tone of your voice! LOL!

    Thanks for the laugh! Sorry - I know you are stressed, but that is what i came away with after reading your post!!! I am sure those of you who know Kleio can relate!

    By Blogger Lola, at 2/15/2006 11:49 am  

  • Stallion: Stop it, it hurts too much! And you know we could go on talking like this for days and days...

    Raine: Glad you find my pain amusing! ;) Kidding. Glad I could make you laugh, cos I know how stressed you are too!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 2/15/2006 4:15 pm  

  • A ciggy, some cereal, and some coffee often helps...

    By Blogger Caffeinated, at 2/24/2006 4:03 pm  

  • It is now nearly one year later and I just happened to go back and read this post and its comments, and saw the above advertisement "for Drain, Plumbing & Handyman Services". I was just about to delete it but then I realized it was there because the title of this post is "Brain Drain" and I just thought it was absolutely hilarious. Of course I doubt anyone will read this comment one year after the post but I wanted to put it here for posterity.

    By Blogger Kleio, at 1/09/2007 3:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home