KaleidoKleio

Saturday, September 16, 2006

I have an MA, and some cool new stuff


I turned in my dissertation today. It feels oddly anti-climactic. You would think that we would all be out celebrating tonight but I think everyone is just too tired and overwhelmed. I finished editing mine a couple of days ago and received very good feedback from my supervisors earlier in the week, so it actually hasn't been as stressful a week for me as it has been for most others. It does feel good though. I now have two weeks off before my PhD programme begins.

After we turned in our dissertations at 11am, my close friend N (who some of you know) and I went for coffee with another friend and "Abs" (a close friend from Kuwait who is in town with family here). We sat outside enjoying the feeling of being free, with the chilly breeze of autumn rushing over us. After a couple of hours out there, we went for lunch at my favourite burger joint near my flat in Fitzrovia. After lunch Abs and I decided to do a bit of shopping, during which I proceeded to engage in a bit of West Soho post-dissertation-retail-therapy. I am extremely pleased with my purchases of the day - which will probably be my main purchases of the month seeing as I can't afford to do much shopping most of the time!

As I've mentioned before, funky footwear is my weakness (not in the typical girly-girl sense, but rather cool trainers and boots). Anyway, on our way to lunch I passed by a girl sitting on the front steps of a shop on Windmill Street and I immediately fell in love with her shoes. About an hour later Abs and I were on Carnaby Street and as we passed by the Vans store I saw the exact pair but in another colour in the window and so we went in. They didn't have the colour I'd seen so we left, but then when we entered Kingly Court we saw that Vans had an upstairs so we went back in. And there they were!


I tried them on and fell in love with them on the spot. I usually don't like skater shoes that are made for girls - most brands only make girl's shoes in pink and purple and other colours I don't like so I've had to resort to finding really small men's pairs. But these were the first girly ones I loved.

Next stop, a shop called Lazy Oaf, also in Kingly Court. There I bought a bag...


...and a hoodie sweatshirt.


The straps of the bag are my favourite teal blue. And the sweatshirt is because I am my P's "cerise." The sleeves of the sweatshirt are a bit "on-purpose" short because they use children's sizes.

All in all, a good day both academically and retail-wise.

While we're at it, a couple of days ago Abs and I were in Convent Garden and I bought this coffee thermos from Octopus, one of my favourite insane little stores. Those of you who know me will get it.


I plan on using it to smuggle coffee into the library this year. Click here to see what it looks like open.

13 Comments:

  • Congrats on your MA Kleio :) Bravo 3alaich :))

    Your red hoodie looks really comfy. It looks like something I would fall asleep in.

    Your psuedo-phallic penguin thermos, however, looks scary and a bit freakish. I thought it would look less intimidating with its head off. I guessed wrong.

    Cool shoes :) I like kicks with a bit of an arch though. If they're "arch-less," I end up plodding around as if I have heavy feet :/

    By Blogger Erzulie, at 9/16/2006 8:56 am  

  • kleio: congrats on your MA. knew you could do it.

    it's nice to spoil yourself with a bit of shopping after a strenuous period of working hard on your paper.

    i must agree with erzulie about the penguin thermos. the pic you put with the top of makes it look like a casuality from the french revolution...OH MY GOD!!!!(epiphany) i just got that! 'french revolution', 'penguin'...your thermos is making more sense now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/16/2006 3:25 pm  

  • Erzulie: Thanks! And I know the thermos is a bit freaky, but I actually find him freaky in an extremely endearing kind of way - except maybe with the head off. :) As for the shoes, I'm a size 5 (British) so when I wear these with jeans, my feet barely even show out the bottom! Not that that fact has anything to do with your comment, but just wanted to share.

    Edo Rex: But of course I could do it! ;) As for the thermos, I never actually put the whole French-Revolution-decapitation thing and the penguin thing together (since that is only something you would figure out). Now that you have, I love it even more!!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 9/16/2006 4:36 pm  

  • Congrats Dear :)

    and Good luck with your PhD.

    By Blogger iDip, at 9/16/2006 8:20 pm  

  • I know exactly how you feel... because I submitted mine yesterday too, but I'm still recovering till this moment :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/16/2006 10:06 pm  

  • iDip: Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the PhD programme, and continuing my own research on a more flexible level. It's exciting!

    Moayad: Hey, congrats to you too!! Feels great, doesn't it? Are you studying in the UK as well (since we had the same deadline)? What field is your degree in, if you don't mind my asking? I think for me the reality of finishing hasn't hit too hard because I know this is not even nearly the end. I start again in two weeks! But it does feel good having completed it. Now I just want to forget about academia for two weeks before I hop right back into it! (Although, we never really forget about it, do we?) Again, mabrook to you too!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 9/17/2006 5:08 am  

  • So how long does a PhD take? And how long does yours take in particular? Is it like a 5 year plan with your MA?

    By Blogger Erzulie, at 9/17/2006 6:14 am  

  • CONGRATULATIONS! We all knew you could not only do it, but do it so extremely well! I am so proud of you!!!!!!

    As for the shopping - KUDOS! Amazing stuff :) I am saving all my cash for the H&M opening :) I have heard that they will not be marking up the prices the way the other stores do, which is cool.

    Enjoy the next 2 weeks :)

    By Blogger Lola, at 9/17/2006 10:54 am  

  • Yeh... It feels ok I guess :) at least the stress subsided a little, and also the –little- feeling of guilt of not doing the best I can.. although I did the best I can.. you know what I mean.

    I’m doing (did) my MA in Birmingham in a field very close to yours… History of Art. The current stress is about getting the admission for the PhD in time and (maybe) having to move to another place to live. So I’m trying to have as much fun and relaxation during this weekend as I can because tomorrow a new journey will begin :). You, Ma Shaa Allah 3alaich, got it all sorted out, I should’ve done things the same way you did… 3ainy 3alaich bardah :)

    And I forgot to say… Congratulations :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/17/2006 2:42 pm  

  • Erzulie: My PhD programme is three years, not counting this past MA year. So the whole MA + PhD will have taken four years once I'm done. I have one more year here in London, then my second year will be doing field research based out of Kuwait, and then the third year will be spent depending on where I get offered a teaching position. If my university in London offers me one, I will certainly take it (for the 3rd PhD year only, not permanently). Otherwise I'll stay in the ME.

    Raine: I learned from the best! ;) As for the shopping, it's good they won't be jacking up the prices at H&M since that means it'll be quite inexpensive, like here in London. Tomorrow N and I are doing Camden Town. I better resist getting another pair of Docs (although white ones are really tempting me this season).

    Moayad: I'm sure you did great. We always judge ourselves harder than anyone else does, and if you're like me then you will never really be 100% satisfied. But the good thing about that is, that's where you get your drive - to keep going, to keep doing your best, and to keep learning - because you are constantly striving to reach that 100%.

    As for the PhD, are you trying to get admitted for this fall, or is it too late? What particular period and/or region do you specialize in? Nice to know there are other Kuwaitis taking the road less traveled, otherwise known as the humanities. :) Good luck and hopefully it'll all work out!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 9/17/2006 5:58 pm  

  • Well, I SHOULD get admission before October.. and I will en shaa Allah :) ans as for my research, it will be about contemporary art.

    May I shamelessly invite you to take a look at my latest post:

    http://www.moayad.com/me/?p=67

    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/18/2006 1:00 am  

  • Someone promised me a copy to red :(

    *in other news cool shoes you have there i liked them the most :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/18/2006 4:30 pm  

  • Congrats sweetie! I'm so proud of you and can't wait to read it!! And your stuff is really cool. I LOVE THE PENGUIN THERMOS! Especially with its head off!! Super cool all around!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/20/2006 5:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home