KaleidoKleio

Sunday, July 23, 2006

YO! Sushi = NO! Sushi

So Marina Mall has recently opened what I like to call the London corner - Yo! Sushi, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Pizzeria Cucina (which is apparently a home-grown Gulf restaurant but that gets its ingredients from a pizzeria in Knightsbridge - which I've been told is the famous pizzeria in Harrod's), and Morelli's Gelato. P and I tried out Gourmet Burger the other day (I haven't been to the one in London yet since I have one of the best burger places in town around the corner from my flat so there's no need to explore any further). It was good, but still not quite as good as Burger Boutique (to compare it with Kuwait's other gourmet burger place). But I like nice burger places that don't feel like you're eating fast food so when it comes to having a burger craving, it's a nice addition to our choices of places to eat in Kuwait. (But I gotta add, when it comes to burgers, Johnny Rockets still does it for me!)

Anyway, tonight we wanted to have ice cream from Morelli's so we decided to try out Yo! Sushi, have a light meal, and then save room for dessert. Didn't quite turn out as planned. First of all, I have only been to Yo! Sushi in London once, and that was a few years ago. Why go there when you can go to Itsu, which is a million times better? But anyway, I decided to give the one here the benefit of the doubt. Boy was that a mistake.

The first annoying thing was that they had all these different types of cold drinks on their menu, but none was actually available. All that was available was soft drinks and three types of fruit juices (very plain) - none of the nice cold fusion teas, nor the flavoured San Pellegrino drinks, that were listed on the menu were available to order.

The next annoying thing was that the sushi dishes going by on the conveyor were not labeled. Maybe I'm too used to Itsu, but I would think that even Yo! Sushi in London labels the dishes, no? So it was up to us to guess what we were picking up.

And it's not like you could really tell what was inside a given roll, seeing as 97% of the roll was just rice. That was the major problem we had with the place. Each roll was quite big, but predominantly consisted of rice, with a tiny bit of actual ingredients - fish or veg - in the middle. So no matter what you ate, you couldn't really taste it because all that you were aware of was the excess of rice. We started with two dishes, and were immediately unsatisfied. We were actually fighting over who was not going to eat the last roll. We sat and waited for something appetizing to come by, but nothing did. It was all rice, rice, rice, and tiny bits of unidentifiable "food" embedded deep in the middle. Finally we just looked at each other, conceded defeat, and decided to get the check and relocate someplace else.

And here's the best part. Two unsatisfying dishes - one with 4 small pieces of salmon sashimi and one with 3 rolls of rice with I-don't-know-what - came out to KD 4! Oh...including the Diet Coke and 7-Up. It's a good thing we decided to stop there.

The only good part of the ten minute experience was our waiter. He was very nice, and was quite disappointed that we were leaving so soon. He asked if there was something wrong or if we were unsatisfied with something, and under normal circumstances I would take that as an invitation to begin my ten minute critique. But he was just so nice and sincerely perturbed by our sudden desire to leave that I just mumbled something about having to leave to meet people. But then I decided to "make a suggestion" - about the huge amount of rice in each roll, and how they really weren't giving their customers a fair value-for-money deal. He listened very carefully and said he would tell the chef.

Anyway, we were still in the mood for sushi but didn't want to go too far (i.e. we didn't feel like driving straight home to Edo as you would expect). So we decided to go to Wasabi in that new area in Bide3 with all the restuarants. This was my first time going to Wasabi and I must say, it wasn't bad at all. Still not quite as good as Edo, but better than any of the other (non-Edo) sushi places in Kuwait. The atmosphere was nice, décor was pleasing, food was good, and the best part is that the old manager of Edo who is now the manager of Wasabi was there. Hadn't seen him in a couple of years!

Here are some pictures from Yo! Sushi of some of the dishes that passed us by. Notice the amount of rice, the small amount of actual filler, and then check out the price.

KD 0.800


KD 1.400


KD 1.800

5 Comments:

  • first of all, you want to put burger boutique to shame? go to burger hub for the ultimate gourmet burger...REALLY good. it's near panini in front of sief palace.

    second, i have never had a good experience at YO! SUSHI in london. the only good thing about ever going there was when my sister and i went there once after hitting HMV to get bjork's new cd (few years ago) and we ended up sitting one table away from her (Bjork. rhymes with 'jerk').

    when in london and craving conveyor belt sushi, itsu is DEFINITELY the place to go for good food, atmosphere and crowd.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/24/2006 1:11 pm  

  • ...And crème brûlée, apparently!

    Why the "Björk"/"jerk" connection? Ma fahamt.

    Will try out that burger place. Never heard of it actually.

    Are we on for breaky tomorrow??

    By Blogger Kleio, at 7/25/2006 12:34 am  

  • Hmm, i didn't like the gourmet burger, a bit too dry, the bread was a bit hard and very dry - I dunno, just didn't cut it for me. I tried burger hub - overall it was okay. the burger was good, thier bun needs working on.

    Johnyy Rockets, Fudruckers and Mcdonalds does it for me :P

    My last visit to Lenotre a couple of days ago was the first time I order their burger - it was actually quiet good!

    By Blogger dishevelled, at 7/25/2006 7:06 am  

  • True, the burger was a bit dry, but I added mustard to it so that made it better (we're mustard people!). Also, now that I think about it, I didn't like the relish in it. It was too sweet, and it made the burger cold. Next time I'd ask them to hold the relish, and I'll add my own fixings.

    Fuddruckers used to be much better than it has become. But to be fair I haven't been there in about 3 years so maybe it's back to its glory days? We used to go to Fudd's back in California way before it came to Kuwait. Now THAT was a good burger!

    As for Mickie Dee's, once in a while, especially when I'm very stressed out, I'll get a double cheeseburger craving and I'll have to pull into the nearest drive thru. But I can only have it once in a while. And the Jabriya double cheeseburgers are the best. :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 7/25/2006 8:54 am  

  • yeah yo!sushi is not that good...

    By Blogger The Krispy Dixie, at 8/03/2006 10:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home