KaleidoKleio

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Lilacs and Buttercups

I first fell in love with the song "Mushaboom" by Feist when I moved to London a year ago. It was one of the songs that I began my life in London to, and along with Belle and Sebastian's "I'm a Cuckoo" (an all time favourite), it's the one song that has remained on my "Streets of London" iPod playlist all year long (which I listen to daily when I'm on the move).

Then last month when we were in Lebanon I discovered that Feist recently released a remix album called "Open Season", with different remixes of several of her best tracks. There were four new versions of "Mushaboom" on the album, the best one being, by far, the remix done by The Postal Service (who, by the way, if you don't know them, are mind-blowingly brilliant). The remix is even better than the original track, which was already a practically perfect, albeit beautifully simple, song. The Postal Service remix has taken things to a whole new level, and the track is by far one of the best pieces of musical perfection I have come across in a very long time (aside from the Postal Service's own stuff, of course).

It's just such a nice, simple, beautiful song. It reminds you that life is not always supposed to be so complicated, so frustrating, and so ugly. The original version is quite upbeat and cheerful. It makes you want to run through fields of green like a wonderful old cliché, or dance in circles on your rooftop at dawn with your arms outstretched as you give your city a great big good morning hug (which was one of the best moments of my life back in DC). In the Postal Service remix, the original tempo of the track is actually slowed down a bit, making it more mellow. It's a tad bit more melancholic, but that just makes it even better because now it showers you with such a bitter-sweet feeling that you don't quite know what to do with yourself. And the fact that it will now always remind me of our time in Lebanon right before this hideous war started makes it all the more bitter-sweet for me.

I guess the main thing that makes me never tire of this song, both the original and the remix, is the lyrics. They just perfectly describe the way I think about life - about my future, and my life with P. The beautiful shining light at the end of the tunnel that we still have yet to reach the end of. This song is perfectly us...this is me and P laying in the grass with our heads together, fantasizing about all the little details of our upcoming life together, as we so regularly do.

Go ahead and listen along to "Mushaboom (The Postal Service Remix)" by Feist.

Helping the kids out of their coats
But wait the babies haven't been born
Unpacking the bags and setting up
And planting lilacs and buttercups

But in the meantime I've got it hard
Second floor living without a yard
It may be years until the day
My dreams will match up with my pay

Old dirt road (mushaboom mushaboom)
Knee deep snow (mushaboom mushaboom)
Watching the fire as we grow (mushaboom mushaboom)
Old

I got a man to stick it out
And make a home from a rented house
And we'll collect the moments one by one
I guess that's how the future's done

How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Old dirt road (mushaboom mushaboom)
Knee deep snow (mushaboom mushaboom)
Watching the fire as we grow (mushaboom mushaboom)
Old

Old dirt road (mushaboom mushaboom)
Rambling rose (mushaboom mushaboom)
Watching the fire as we grow
Well I'm sold...

7 Comments:

  • i love love love the postal service! i hope death cab for cutie doesn't distract the singer (i forgot his name..) although.. to be fair it did start as a side project didn't it? i'm rambling... yeah PS! their songs always make me feel like a kid... simple and bleepy (in a C-3PO kinda way) and yet so intricate and so real... i'll def. check the remix out... many thanx!

    btw i hope im not snooping or anything, i just like checking out ur blog from time to time coz u have an eclectic taste in music.. very rare in kuwait.. and i like how ur enthusiastic about it... i gave up trying to convert ppl.. no one listens.. *sighs*

    oh glad to see u made it from lebanon safe.. 7imdillaaaah alf 3assalama... (adry 7addy qadeema)... it's tragic waht's going on though :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/05/2006 9:23 am  

  • BDW: Yaaaaaay someone else in Kuwait loves the Postal Service! They blow me away. Ben Gibbard is the singer for Death Cab for Cutie. He originally did the vocals for a track by Jimmy Tamborello's Dntel, and that's how the two of them became Postal Service. They're supposed to have a new album coming out in late 2006 or early 2007. I can't WAIT.

    Their songs do make me feel like a kid. They are magical, and it's like all your planets align when you listen to them. Ben's voice is so...angelic. When you first hear them, you don't quite know what to do...how to react. You get confused and puzzled and you immediately want to laugh and cry at the same time. And then you smile and nod and say, "Yes, that's right. This is it. This is the answer I've been looking for all this time."

    What I love about them is they combine my two favourite types of music into a perfect fusion - electronica with indie pop/rock. Btw, doesn't the cover of the "We Will Become Sillouhettes" EP, which is the drawing on their website, remind you a bit of the video for "Year of the Rat" by Badly Drawn Boy?

    Of course you're not snooping here. :) I do have quite an eclectic taste in music, and yes it's hard to find people in Kuwait who are enthusiastic about the same types of things I listen to. My P and I have identical tastes. In fact, it was over our love of music that we first fell in love! So it's great that I have someone in my daily life who I share this with. Our best friend, who comments here as "Edo Rex", is another one. And then of course, my sisters, from whom I learned the base of my musical knowledge when I was in my wee single-digits in the 80s. :)

    And finally, yes what's going on in Lebanon is beyond tragic. It makes me so sad, and angry, and bitter, and helpless. I just don't understand why the world hasn't woken up and put a stop to this yet. It baffles me...

    By Blogger Kleio, at 8/05/2006 2:06 pm  

  • lol boy did it take me a long time to reply but yes!! you are so right!! the animation is so cool too... i love badly drawn boooooooooy... i feel bad for saying this but i don't really like his new album as much as i like his older stuff... it's good.. but not thaaaat good... hmmm...

    i love the song... she reminds me of patti smith in a way.. i esp loved the remix... i think it's even better than the original... i think i'm biased to the postal service hehee... they are, like u said, the "perfect fusion"... their songs make me want to hug people... in their sad songs, i want to comfort whoever's next to me.. even if they don't feel bad... i *do* and i need some sort of comforting in comforting ppl... and when it's a happy note i just want to hug ppl and let them know i'm listening to a great tune... like that bit in We Will Become Silhouettes or District Sleeps Alone Tonight... the ending is not necessarily happy haha but it's like a release of opening up and finding out a revelation about urself... i spent hours listening to PS and twirling round and round and round in my office chair imagining i was somewhere with green trees in my eyes and rain on my face...

    u know i think there are a lot of other PS fans in kuwait... i'll roam the streets and scout them for u... maybe try and convince them to have a show in kuwait... haha.. :P

    oh and... HAPPY BIRTHDAY... sorry it's late i know.. hope the years to come will be bright and full of music... you and P sound like another "perfect fusion" and i wish you all the best....

    (i'm going to see Death Cab for Cutie next week... yay!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/09/2006 9:17 am  

  • Which BDB stuff do you not like as much? "One Plus One is One"? There were actually some great moments on that album...certainly "Year of the Rat" and "Holy Grail", also "Stockport" and "Four Leaf Clover". But I absolutely love "Have You Fed the Fish" - "You Were Right" blew me away! I think it was the first BDB song I ever heard and fell in love with them on the spot. Yeah, they're great. I can't wait till their new album comes out in October - "Born in the UK".

    I feel the same way about PS - I want to hug everyone I see! You should see me in my car when I'm listening to them! Every song has a great moment - when his voice just does something that makes your heart leap. The part towards the end of "District Sleeps Alone Tonight" - "The district sleeps alone tonight after the bars turn out their lights, and send the autos swerving into the loneliest evening. I am finally seeing why I was the one worth leaving." Holy crap. Sometimes I'll just rewind that part on my iPod and keep playing it. It makes me go insane! And what makes me love the song even more is that I used to live in the District, and it just reminds me of those days...certain nights, certain periods that were kind of sad yet happy at the same time because you felt so alive. Like you said about the song, "not necessarily happy haha but it's like a release of opening up and finding out a revelation about urself."

    Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

    And I'm so jealous you're going to see DCFC! Where? Give Ben a hug from me! :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 8/09/2006 12:34 pm  

  • Oh, and BDB's "Silent Sigh" melt's my heart.

    We really should scrape together all the proper indie fans in Kuwait. Could be fun!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 8/09/2006 12:53 pm  

  • lol you're right those albums had great moments... always put a smile on my face... it's just that it took a while for them to grow on me... plus i downloaded them at the same time so it was daunting... like i had to get through them... (kid a/amnesiac :P)... it's only now after a whiiile that they grew back on me and blossomed really pretty...

    someone woke up on the foresty side of bed...

    i'm gonna free myself for Born in the UK and stop listening to my 'aghani 3roos' playlist ;P

    and i thought i was the only one who rewinded that minute of utter bliss! *thank you god*

    that was the part i was tlaking about earlier... it makes me want to take my shoes off and run in my place... and when im in the car i shake shake shake my knee because i have to resist the urge to jump up and down like a pinball...

    *haert racing...*

    i'm secretly hoping DCFC would play some PS songs... *sigh*...

    i'm going to see them in san diego... i'm here for grad school and trying to see everyone before i start classes and hell breaks loose...

    and i'm 22... going on 23... which eventually becomes 24 adn then 25 and you get the idea... *putting on a new spin on the typical boring age answer*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/11/2006 10:22 am  

  • and if you'd still be in kuwait by then, please go see charbel rouhana.. i love his music...

    more... here..
    http://faithlebanon.blogspot.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/11/2006 10:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home