KaleidoKleio

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Adventure Island Revisited


This is probably the first time I write a post asking my fellow bloggers for (technical) help.

Fractal00's latest post got me thinking. I'm not at all into modern day video games of any sort. My gaming identity ends with Namco's Galaga and Nintendo's Adventure Island, both of which my sisters and I used to play in the 80s on one of those old school Nintendo consoles. Of course there was also lots of Pacman, Super Mario Bros., and Tetris (and in the earlier years, Atari). But Galaga and Adventure Island were our favourites. In DC there is a pool hall called Georgetown Billiards that has an old vintage Galaga arcade machine. When I first discovered it, I went nuts. My friends and I used to go there quite often to play pool (which I also love), and I would change like $5 into quarters and just sit there for hours playing Galaga (OK, so sometimes it was $10). To be honest, there were even some days when I would be shopping or running errands around Georgetown alone, and would wander in there and just play for over an hour. Then a couple of years ago I was back in DC visiting friends and I found a dream-come-true in Urban Outfitters. Some company (don't know if it was actually Namco and Atari or some third party) had released a series of joysticks with built-in vintage games that you can just plug into your TV and play. I bought a Namco one that had Galaga, Ms. Pacman, and a car racing game, and an Atari one with a bunch of old Atari games.

Now, to show you just how out-of-date I am when it comes to these things, I have never once in my entire life touched a PlayStation or Xbox. Ever. I don't know why, but I just don't find the idea of modern games as fun as those old two-dimensional games. (Oh wait, there was brief period of my life when I used to play Street Fighter all the time at an arcade in Italy. But anyway...)

Two years ago I mentioned to Stallion that I used to love playing Adventure Island. Then one day he shows up with his laptop and the game downloaded for me to play. I was ecstatic! I hadn't played it since I was a kid, and it brought back so many memories. I started to remember where all the hidden eggs were, when something would shoot out at you from nowhere, where the hidden passageways were, etc. I remember asking him how he got it and he began explaining it to me, but I started to get lost so just decided to play on his computer instead. But now, after reading fractal00's latest post, it got me thinking about Adventure Island again. I would love to get it to play on my PowerBook. So here's where my request for help comes in.

I consider myself to be pretty technologically savvy. When I need to learn something new, I feel lost at first, but once I throw myself into it (with a bit of guidance at the beginning), I pick it up fine. So anyway, is there anyone out there who would like to take a bit of time to explain to me how I can go about downloading Adventure Island onto my Mac (preferably for free but we'll see)? I know I could just do a bit of research online myself and figure it out but in this instance I'm going to be lazy and hope that someone wants to help me out! Also, once I do download it, is it possible to get some sort of (simple!) joystick to plug into my PowerBook to play from? Am I sounding like a total idiot to those of you who know what you're doing?

13 Comments:

  • Awwwwwwwwwwww .....
    Memories Memories.. I used to spend ages playing Adventure Island, and Galaga i am the proud owner of my family's highscore, unbeatable to this date =D... Your a retro gamer then, i knew u had it in you.

    As for downloading the game, i can do it on my PC, you just need to download a rom and an emulator. An emulator bascially is a computer program that emulates the old console programming on modern operating systems, and the rom is like the cartridge u used long ago, rather now they are files :P ... However i don't have much experience in Macs, the emulator i use doesn't work on a Macintosh, your gonna have a Mac guy for that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/30/2006 10:24 am  

  • I love Galaga, especially when the triple alien ships sweep down on you and you shoot each and every one of them, or when you couple with one of your stolen fighters and you have double shooting power and you start obliterating the alien ships from the sky.

    By Blogger don_veto, at 9/30/2006 11:40 am  

  • Fractal00: My sister and I figured out how to stay at the last level we were on after we lost all three lives - we'd press every button on the joystick and it would take us right back. We would spend days on end playing when we didn't have school - we'd pause only for meals (and even that was only after a lot of coaxing from our Mom!) - and when we'd finally have to sleep at night we'd cordon off the TV area so nobody would touch it. Then there was inevitably that terrifying moment (yet sometimes oddly freeing) when after days of playing and endless levels into the game, we would do our joystick trick but the game would suddenly reset itself and we'd scream...and then slowly walk away. We never actually finished the game, though.

    Thanks for the info on downloading. At least now I know what I'm looking for. I'll google around.

    Don_Veto: Yes, I'd love playing with double-men! And the challenging stages were the best. There was a small trick to be able to get a full score in the challenging stage. If you are playing as a single ship and you know a challenging stage is coming next, don't shoot down your second ship until the very end (i.e. the last enemy ship you shoot out should be your captor). Then the computer will bring your ship to the centre as it brings your second one down to you. Stay put. Do not move left or right. All you have to do now when the challenging stage begins is fire really fast. If your fingers fire fast enough, you'll hit every single ship. Now, if you were already in double-power mode before the challenging stage begins, you will have to try to place yourself exactly in the centre. One millimeter off and you'll misfire.

    I left my Namco joystick thing in Kuwait. I'll have to bring it back with me next time...to relieve stress after a week of research! In the meantime... - (although it's a bit different).

    By Blogger Kleio, at 9/30/2006 1:25 pm  

  • Found you a couple of options

    http://www.amazon.com/Atari-26519-Flashback-2-0/dp/B00093DHIK/ref=cm_sylt_fullview_prod_15/102-6166894-7573751?ie=UTF8/102-6166894-7573751

    http://www.amazon.com/Original-Arcade-Games-Video-System/dp/B0001GBROQ/ref=cm_sylt_fullview_prod_18/102-6166894-7573751?ie=UTF8/102-6166894-7573751

    By Blogger Spicy Pepper, at 9/30/2006 2:06 pm  

  • Got to make me thing in Ramadan dont you.

    For your Mac you will need this emulator: Nestopia

    For the ROMS just have Stallion to send it to you and tada. Sadly no joystick.

    By Blogger nibaq, at 9/30/2006 3:51 pm  

  • Spicy Pepper: Yeah - those are the TV joystick things I found a couple of years ago. They're a blast! I would love to one day own a proper vintage Galaga arcade machine. Or actually, I could just get a carpenter to build a big box, put a TV inside, and attach this joystick to it. Anyway, anyone who misses Atari and these old games should buy these from Amazon if they don't already have one!

    Nibaq: I knew you'd come to my rescue! Thanks! But I don't think Stallion still has the ROMS because it was a long time ago but it's OK that should be easy enough to find. YOU GET A BIG HUG!!!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 9/30/2006 7:27 pm  

  • I do agree that the old games were a lot more fun. The reason I think so is because those old games were quick games that did no force you to think and it was entertainment for the entire family. A lot of todays games need you to think, sometimes calculate, and there is no such thing as a quick game!

    There are some fun games, several challenging games, but I haven't been able to get into them. I usually stick to racing games.

    What was that game called from the 80s? Where the frog had to cross the street and the river? It's a simple, fast, entertaining game.

    In the mid 90s there was a good boom in pc games, my favorites were red alerts, and all the sim stuff. sim city, tower, hospital, theme park. Endless hours on the pc.

    Anyways, enough rambling on....

    By Blogger Rampurple, at 10/03/2006 3:15 am  

  • Rampurple: You're talking about Frogger! And there was also Qubert - the guy who would jump around on the cubes - don't really remember what he'd do.

    You're right - the modern games are just too complex. I use my brain waaay too much on a daily basis to have to use it that much when I'm trying to unwind! :) Give me a two-dimensional forest background and some axes to throw and I'm happy.

    By the way, thanks to nibaq I've been playing Adventure Island and Galaga on my PowerBook for two days straight. I passed three "kings" in AI but unfortunately today I accidently hit the start button on its own so the game reset all the way. Again, like when I was a kid, there was a moment of sheer panic, followed by a bit of relief. Anyway, I have already pulled a back muscle because of it (warning: do not lay on the couch for 5 hours in an awkward position with a computer on your lap). I have to go have a deep back massage tomorrow because of it!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 10/03/2006 3:29 am  

  • I AM THE GALAGA QUEEN!!! JUST DON'T TALK TO ME WHILE I'M PLAYING OR, AS YOU AND RAINE WELL KNOW, I MAY JUST BITE YOUR HEAD OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/03/2006 9:51 pm  

  • LOL Red!! Oh we know! We know VERY well! That's the side of you that Raine and I are still slightly scared of. That, and the side that comes to life whenever the World Cup is on and the satellite stops working. INCOMING...flying remote control! DUUUUUCK!!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 10/04/2006 3:07 am  

  • Awww!
    I love the sounds of those games.

    Tik tik tik tararammmmmmmm
    tik tik tik torooroommmmm

    and the sound tracks r kewl!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/05/2006 3:54 pm  

  • P: I know! When I play them on my PowerBook I have the volume turned up full blast and it sounds so crisp and fun!

    Are you sure the sounds aren't "pak pak, 3aw 3aw"? ;)

    I can't wait for both of us to play when I come in November. Exactly one month left! Wooo hooooooo!!! :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 10/05/2006 3:57 pm  

  • Exactly! I love the older games much more. And like you I prefer the 2 dimensional pictures. They were so much fun! This summer I actually took out my old super nintendo and bought a sega. But I have to say, the graphics on Sonic gave me a headache! way too many patterns :P

    By Blogger dishevelled, at 10/28/2006 12:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home