KaleidoKleio

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Shining

I spent the day outside of London today. On my way back into town in the early evening, I had to take the slow train because all the fast trains were delayed. So I sat by the window and popped my iPod on and got ready for a long two-hour ride back home.


It was rainy and the sky was overcast. For about half the journey I was listening to the same three songs on repeat,* each of which seemed to perfectly fit the mood of the English countryside on such a wet yet pretty day. Brooding yet peaceful - both the music and the view.


About halfway through my journey I decided to stop listening to the same songs over and over and put my iPod on shuffle. The first song that came on was one I didn't even realize I had. It's the remix of a song I know and love, but I'd never heard this version before for some reason, despite its being in both my iTunes and iPod. The song was Badly Drawn Boy's "The Shining (The Avalanches Good Word for the Weekend Remix)" [download]. It's amazing when you hear a new version of a song that you already love, but that does it even better. It's so very familiar yet so very new at the same time. It was like when I first heard the Postal Service's remix of Feist's "Mushaboom". Anyway, the song immediately put me in such a wonderful mood. And I swear, as unrealistic and clichéd as it's going to sound, just as the song burst open (nearly a minute into it) the bushes whizzing by my window suddenly ended and opened up the view, to this...


The shining, indeed. And the best part was, I was absolutely alone in the train carriage. This was another one of those beautiful, perfect London moments. And I really needed it too. I've been in a real funk lately and this was exactly what I needed to bring me out of it. Sometimes it really is the simplest things in life!

And since it's been exactly one year since this picture of me studying for exams in the library, I thought I'd throw this picture in just for the fun of it. One year has gone by incredibly fast.


By the way, these pictures were taken with my Sony Ericsson. If only I'd had my real camera!

* The three songs on repeat were (not a big surprise if you read my last post): "Release Me" by Oh Laura (listen), and "Gotta Have You" and "World Spins Madly On" by The Weepies (listen).

11 Comments:

  • Hello.

    I saw your diary (September 25,2006)
    -----------------------------
    "It’s suddenly early morning
    The only sound is my breathing
    As I lay awake not knowing
    Where it will be I’m going
    But I know
    Time moves slow..."
    ------------------------------

    I want to know the sequel to this song.
    Becouse They don't sell this song in Japan.

    please give me the words of this song.

    Asuka

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2007 6:34 am  

  • Nice journey!
    Wish i was there, I love such experiences and I miss these :(
    Its nice and healthy too, makes u sit, stay calm, admire and travel in your thoughts.

    Downloading the songs now..
    We were suppose todo Country Side together! Yalla, la prochaine fois ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2007 5:09 pm  

  • Asuka: You can find the words to the song online by searching for "12:59 Lullaby lyrics" in google. You can download the full song here: http://www.badongo.com/file/3071753. Hope this helps!

    P: Yeah, those moments are great. It's nice to sometimes be forced to stop moving, stop working, stop everything, and just sit back and enjoy the sights.

    We will do the countryside together one day...with better weather! :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 5/17/2007 12:30 am  

  • Offf!

    Great pics, great music, great post!
    AND great shoes :-)))

    It's a drizzly rainy day in NYC, an appropriate read for me

    By Blogger Eman, at 5/17/2007 4:50 am  

  • Thank you so much!
    I'll try it.

    Asuka

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/17/2007 6:05 am  

  • GREAT PICTURES! I can't believe you took them with your phone!

    I love trains... and I also love planes. I think it is the fact that they force you to stop. You can't leave, you can't do anything about the zillions of things you are worrying about. It is a compulsory respite - that's what I love about them! Add a good song and beautiful sights and you're set!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/17/2007 2:50 pm  

  • Harmonie: What are you doing in NYC? And can you believe I've had this same pair of black Converse since middle school?! Same exact pair. :)

    Asuka: You're welcome!

    Raine: Yes, very true. Sometimes I enjoy long flights because you just have absolutely nothing to do. I always take work with me and never end up doing it. I watch movies, listen to my iPod, sleep, read (anything non-academic), write, play solitaire on my iPod, etc. But the one thing I hate about flying is the turbulence! Once that starts, you know me - my knuckles go white from grabbing the arm rests and I start squealing quietly under my breath. That's why I'll always prefer trains!

    Actually, while we're on the subject, my favourite moment is when landing over Kuwait early in the morning - now that they've opened up the northern landing. Flying low over the Shatt al-Arab, seeing the river delta and the beautiful natural phenomena of that area. Passing over Bubiyan and Subbiyeh, over Failaka, and finally over Kuwait City. It's such a beautiful landing. You can see everything over Kuwait, and at that time of morning, if the day is clear, it is absolutely gorgeous. It makes me so happy to see Kuwait from up there. Next time I'll have to take a picture.

    By Blogger Kleio, at 5/17/2007 5:36 pm  

  • Been here with a couple old friends but stayed on for 2 weeks and am having an artist's writing retreat... I'm going to a poetry slam this Friday and they have an open mike nite and I'm gonna get up and perform one of my poems, something I have not publicly done since 2003... I do not count private readings among friends =)

    By Blogger Eman, at 5/18/2007 4:32 am  

  • And I believe you about the shoes! I'm that way with my fave shoes and t-shirts lol

    By Blogger Eman, at 5/18/2007 4:33 am  

  • Harmonie: Ooh, sounds like fun! I wish I could be at the slam to see/hear your latest work. We shall reserve it for more of the private readings in Kuwait. :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 5/18/2007 2:45 pm  

  • yes. what everybody is true great pics. They remind of my trips to london and back up North before I bought the car and had to endure the traffic jams on the M1.

    I never though I would miss england because I used to loathe it ( I am more fond of the US ), but I do. I miss the trees and the grass and rain (my uni was right in the middle of a village).

    you sould go out more to the country side and get away from the London pollution and crazy black can drivers

    By Blogger Traveleer, at 5/19/2007 10:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home