KaleidoKleio

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Spring...but not quite

It's been ages since I've posted. And whenever you haven't posted for a while, and you have people messaging or Emailing you asking where you've been - "readers" (so to speak) that you never thought you'd have - you always feel this immense pressure to post something profoundly brilliant for your comeback. But as I have so much going on right now - tons of reading, writing the first chapter of my PhD thesis, preparing for a seminar presentation, preparing a paper for a conference, and getting ready to go to Kuwait in April - I will resist the urge to write something profound here. Instead, I will just keep it simple.

Last week the weather was beautiful here in London. It felt like spring was on the horizon - sunny skies, light jackets, and chilly evenings. But suddenly, this week hit and it's cold as hell again. But I got enough of a taste of spring to start to feel that giddiness that comes along with it. That feeling of blowing off work, sitting outside at your favourite outdoor locale, and wasting the day/evening away talking, laughing, and being merry. And although I know most of you who are reading this are in Kuwait and are feeling summer descending in all its flaming fury, I thought I would share two of my favourite "winter's-over-and-holy-sh!t-spring-is-here" songs (even though it might be a tad premature for London):

"I'm A Cuckoo" - Belle and Sebastian (listen / download)
"The Blues Are Still Blue" - Belle and Sebastian (listen / download)

Enjoy!

6 Comments:

  • I was in London Last week.. couldn't do a thing because of the cold!

    And by the way, it's good to hear that you are busy, because that's how you know every thing is normal :)

    And you already writing your first chapter! That's good ma shaa Allah :) Good luck.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/26/2007 3:35 pm  

  • Allah ywafgich inshallah. I miss your posts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/02/2007 1:55 am  

  • hello Kleio

    I will be waiting in the airport with open arms. but I dont think I can recognize you since you don't look like Kuwaitis *wink*.

    Mr Issues

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/03/2007 11:56 am  

  • I know that you must be working at something important. Hopefully you are with your family and friends and therefore not posting anything. But here, I kinda miss your news. I so wish that you are not planning to give up on your blog.

    By Blogger JP, at 4/18/2007 9:37 am  

  • Sorry that it's taken me so long to reply, guys! Here I go:

    Moayad: The weather is gorgeous now! Although hayfever is officially in full swing, and Boots is full of buy-one-get-one-free deals on allergy meds. But it's lovely. Warm and sunny, but breezy and cool at the same time. Aaa, aaa, aaa-chooooooo!

    Anonymous: I never know the correct response in Arabic to "all ywafgich", or "bil tawfeeeq", etc. :) Thank you and same to you I think is the nicest response to such a nice sentiment from an anonymous person! As for my posts, I'll try to start posting again.

    Mr. Issues: Oops, sorry I missed you at the airport. Then again it was quite crowded! :) And PROOF that people never think I'm Kuwaiti: at passport control when I arrived, I was in the GCC line and there was this officer guy going around making sure that everyone was in the right place and he came up to me and said in broken English "visa is" and started to point but before he had a chance to finish I waved my electric blue passport in the air and said "ana Kuwaitiyya" and he got all flustered and mumbled something and walked away. :) Oh oh, and another story. During the flight I was sitting at the window seat and had two Kuwaiti guys near me (in the middle and aisle seats). I guess they assumed I wasn't Arab because the only time I spoke on the flight was to the flight attendant, in English, at meal times. Anyway, at the end of the flight when we landed the guys wanted to wait until everyone was off the plane before getting up but I wanted to get the hell off the plane ASAP (guy near me smelled real bad and at lower altitudes it got worse). So I made it clear that I wanted them to move so I could get up. I guess they weren't too pleased with that and they started grumbling about me in Arabic to each other - not quietly - and then started making comments about the fact that I have boy-short hair. They were talking shit about me ashkara to my face! I wanted to say something but then I thought I would go for the more subtle approach and as we were standing in the aisle I took out my electric blue passport and held it in a way that was very visible to them. The looks on their faces were PRICELESS!

    Wow that was a long reply.

    Jags Mollu: Hey there! Long time. I was home for about three weeks in April, which was amazing. But life is very busy right now, which is why I'm not posting. But I'm going to try to start up again. Hope people will start reading again though! :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 5/03/2007 1:57 am  

  • Kleio,
    I am glad my comment did not bother you this time lol laste time you and your gang members (sister especially) lashed out at me to put it mildly :P

    ok now i believe that you don't look like a typical Kuwait and I wont tease you anymore.

    short hair? CUTE. I wish my lady would listen and get rid of the long hair

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/07/2007 2:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home