KaleidoKleio

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Winding down

Wow...I can't believe I have less than a week left in London and then I'm out of here until September. It's all gone by so fast. And I'll admit, it's getting quite overwhelming. Every single minute between 9:30am and 5pm is precious time I have to spend in the archives before I leave. I'll get it done, but my brain is knackered! But the good thing is it's forcing me to be really disciplined and to really throw myself into my dissertation. I'm almost ready to start writing a first section. Considering most of the people in my programme have barely even started their research yet, this race against the clock is actually working out well for me. I'm having lunch with my supervisor tomorrow to discuss my latest ideas that have developed as my research has been progressing, and if I get her green light then I'll be well on my way.

It feels strange though. That whole "this is the end" feeling is starting to really hit me. Not so much with regard to my work and all, but just this year. Saying good-bye to people - some of whom I'll be seeing again in September but none of whom (from the ones I'm closest to) will be continuing on to the PhD right away. Also, from here on out it's just me and my own research. We'll still have seminars next year - but as far as the actual work that I'm doing goes, it's my own. Nobody else to really go through it with the way you do with actual coursework.

But now that I've begun my own research, I am at my most content. This is the part I really love. A group of us in the history department (mainly those of us who are going on to the PhD right away) created our own voluntary seminar group after exams to share and discuss our dissertation progress together. Each week two people present their topic/research and answer questions and get feedback from the group - one hour per person. This is obviously what we'll be doing next year once we start the PhD programme, but apparently this is the first year that MA students have decided to do this voluntarily for the MA dissertation as well - the history department is quite impressed and is now considering doing this every year. I presented last Friday and received extremely positive feedback, which was great. At this relatively early pre-writing stage, talking things out (even with people who are writing in totally different areas) really helps all the ideas coalesce in your head.

So anyway, enough rambling. I'm so excited to be coming home. I miss everyone like mad, and I'm ready for some Kuwaiti luxury!

5 Comments:

  • Wishing you the best of luck & success :)

    and
    Welcome back home -in advance-.

    By Blogger iDip, at 6/21/2006 4:33 pm  

  • Thanks iDip, for the encouragement and the welcome! :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 6/22/2006 1:23 am  

  • How many years do you have left?
    Oh and did you get my email? It's kinda lengthy :/

    *looks at paper near desk, which has the Q80 Embassy in Italy contact info*

    Ahhh if only... :)

    Good luck Kleio :))

    By Blogger Erzulie, at 6/22/2006 5:19 am  

  • Erzulie: I have three years left for the PhD programme, but not all of that will be in London. First year in London, second year doing field research, and then the third year I'll be going back and forth but where I'll actually be based out of depends - on whether I get offered a teaching position at my university here or not.

    I did get your Email - I read it a couple of nights ago but haven't had the chance to write back because of all the pre-traveling chaos! But I will soon, I promise!

    Aaaah la bell'Italia! I say go for it! :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 6/22/2006 11:14 am  

  • Oh no no...no rush at all. I just didn't want to seem...how to put this...incessant?
    Anyhoo, I'm calling them this weekend. Cross your fingers!
    And wow, three more years. But you know, I've been here for exactly the same time and it seems like I just graduated high school i.e. hopefully it'll pass in no time and plus, you obviously enjoy what you're doing so... :))
    G'luck :))

    By Blogger Erzulie, at 6/22/2006 1:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home