KaleidoKleio

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Bar Italia




Watched tonight's Italy game with a bunch of friends at Bar Italia, which had a (small) outdoor screen so you could stand on the street and watch. There I was in my blue Italia t-shirt all geared up and raring to go, surrounded by hundreds of Italians and Italo-philes like myself. But what a disappointing game. It was exciting with all the red cards and all, but overall very disappointing for Italia. Italy's first goal was great - the crowd went wild and the adrenaline was soaring. But it all went downhill from there. But Del Peiro received a very warm reception indeed when he came on - not least from myself!

Funny thing - I was chatting in English with an Italian girl in the crowd and she suddenly stopped and said, "But wait, you're American!" because of my accent, and I quickly said, "No, I'm NOT!" and continued the conversation in Italian. All I needed was for the crowd to think I was American! But I guess my t-shirt was enough for me to redeem myself. Well, that and the fact that I yelled and cursed at the screen in Italian along with the rest of them.

Anyway, we better kick the Czech Republic's ass on Thursday.

P.S. How do you like the Bar Italia banner flanked by the Cross of St. George? :)

3 Comments:

  • That game was shocking! The own-goal was heartbreaking. And I think the refs in this World Cup are a little card-happy. They need to calm down. Not 10 seconds of play passes without a whistle! And almost every foul is rewarded with a yellow or red card (in addition to the free kick) - even those that clearly do not warrant them.

    Anyway, I can't believe Italy tied with the U.S. That is a shocker. It does not bode well for their chances :(

    P.S. Did you see that bloody nose?! Now that deserved a card.

    By Blogger Lola, at 6/18/2006 4:41 pm  

  • LOL about the bloody nose!! :)

    But today's France game against Korea was even worse. How despressing!! First of all, France was cheated out of a clearly visible goal. And second, Zidane got his second yellow card (for absolute bullshit) which means he misses the next match, which means this could very well have been his last match ever! I really don't think the ref in today's game was legit - he let Korea get away with so much shit.

    Today's game depressed me even more than yesterday - because the French were doing so well in the first half, but they took it too easy in the second, thinking they had it. I really hope they make it into the knock-out stage!!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 6/19/2006 2:29 am  

  • This is very interesting site...
    Kamie wade cadillac mi maternity medieval dresses

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/25/2006 9:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home