KaleidoKleio

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

FORZA AZZURRI!!!


This is what it's all about. The World Cup. This is how I would like life to be all the time.

My flat has become the official World Cup den. I started with a World Cup kick-off party on Friday, and it's the regular spot everyday. Today was insane. How great was that Italia/Ghana game? I could barely handle it. Italia is my team - despite the disappointments of the 1994, 1998, and 2002 World Cups, I stand by my boys. Today I had about ten people over, and only two of us were supporting Italy. OK, I usually always go for the underdog team too, but not today. While I'm happy that Ghana has made it to the World Cup for the first time, I'm not going to turn my back on Italia.

This was the first really good, high spirited game I've experienced thus far in this World Cup. This game really meant something to me. After four years of waiting for this energy again, coupled by the intense indoor heat in London without air conditioning, the tenseness of the first half of the game was almost too much for me to handle. But after the first goal I knew we had it. And it was a kick ass goal, too - I must say. And that second goal, I just lost it there. It's been a while since we've seen a goal like that - so easy and and calm. What a game. But I must give Ghana props - while their strikers were well off the mark every single time, they did a good job midfield throughout the game.

And just to make things all the nicer for me, just before the second goal they brought out Alessandro Del Piero. Del Piero is my man. I have loved him for years (and he's nice on the eyes too). That was just the icing on the cake for me.

After the game we walked down the street to Frith Street in Soho - a.k.a. Little Italy. Hung out around Bar Italia eating gelati and I was just in heaven, surrounded by azzurri shirts and happy Italians. For a while I felt like I was out of London and back in Italy - the country in which I have spent the last two World Cups. I hate not being there now. But London is fine because you find fellow supporters no matter what team you're with. I didn't know Bar Italia had a TV showing the games so that's where we'll be on Saturday night - on Frith Street, watching the game against USA. Gotta surround myself with my fellow Italians and Italo-philes, wearing my Del Piero shirt and cursing out the refs in Italian.

FORZA ITALIA!!

5 Comments:

  • Yay Italy!

    Actually (*blushes*)...I only went for the Italian team in 2002 for the wrong reason. It was just for Mr. Roberto Baggio...Though I can think of other "reasons", too .. ;)

    Now I'm more partial to another team (England), because of Wayne Rooney...and YOU KNOW it's not for his looks! He's a great player, and I admire his skill at such a young age.

    By Blogger Caffeinated, at 6/13/2006 8:55 am  

  • I think you mean 1998 - cos Baggio wasn't on the 2002 squad - 1998 was his last World Cup. But it sucks cos most of my favourites from previous years are no longer playing. No Maldini, no Vieri, and Del Piero is not a starter. :( Oh well...people get older, gotta make room for the new generation.

    And on that note, I'm so excited to see Zidane play today (France) - it's his last tournament before he retires! That'll be a sad day in football. What a classy player.

    As for England - they do have a strong team this year. I'm not gonna cheer them on to the end, for various reasons, but I don't mind them winning this early on. As for Roooooooney...LOL! But yeah, good skill.

    By Blogger Kleio, at 6/13/2006 12:49 pm  

  • I support Italy too...well, for aesthetic reasons :P

    By Blogger Erzulie, at 6/14/2006 5:27 am  

  • ...like Del Piero. Enough of a reason for me! *sigh*

    The other day I had around 12 people over watching the Ivory Coast vs. Argentina game, and I commented on how much I liked the Ivory Coast uniform, and one of the guys started laughing and shaking his head and said, "not to sound sexist or anything, but this is why I hate watching football with girls." He meant it teasingly, of course - but then again I think we have it better. I'm totally into the sport as a sport - I know all the rules and regulations and players, and I watch it like a guy. But then I also pay attention to the nice uniforms and colours. And certainly to the nice looking players too! We get to have it all!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 6/14/2006 11:33 am  

  • kleio - amen!
    I miss Maldini. And like you, I think watching the World Cup in Italia is just an amazing thing.

    By Blogger Lola, at 6/14/2006 5:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home