KaleidoKleio

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Saturday in the Park

Today was the first day of summer in London. It was also my close friend's birthday. She had planned for us to go on a picnic in Regent's Park for the day to play cricket and have some fun, and it turned out to be a glorious day because it was the first day that was sunny, with blue skies and a gorgeous breeze.

The park was packed - it really finally feels like summer is here. We had a nice picnic under a tree, had some birthday cake, and then set up the cricket equipment. First time I played and I have to say it was a blast. Being the postgrad geeks that we are, we split the teams into the Colonizers (Britons, Americans, and Canadians) versus the Colonized (Arabs, South Asians, and Irish). The Colonizers won, but we put in a good effort! Cricket was more fun than I was anticipating. I quickly realized that I had to stop trying to understand the game in relation to baseball! They're more different than I thought. Cricket is definitely more relaxed (at least the way we were playing it) - and it's a lovely way to spend an afternoon. We'll probably be out there again next weekend.

I feel a bit sad now because I've made such a wonderful group of friends, and we're all about to part ways soon. I'm the only one that's staying on for the PhD. Some others might still be around London, but others are leaving town altogether soon. Today was one of those days when you really realize just how much of a good thing you've got going with the people you're surrounded by. I wasn't expecting to make such good friends in a postgrad programme. And yet, here they are, all around me...such a wonderfully eclectic bunch.

Anyway, here are some pictures from our game:



9 Comments:

  • sounds like you had quite the memorable day. glad you had fun.

    how different is your programme than those of your friends? would you guys get to cross paths professionally in the future? just curious...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/04/2006 3:37 am  

  • I really like the last pic! Great shot!

    As for your friends, I know what you mean, except I had that experience as an under grad not a post graduate! :oP

    I'm glad to see that you had fun!

    By Blogger The Stallion, at 6/04/2006 8:23 am  

  • Looked like fun and a gorgeous day! The last pic was a great shot due to the angle :)

    By Blogger Jazz Central, at 6/04/2006 9:13 am  

  • Edo Rex: Yeah many of us are in similar fields. A couple who are in history are planning on doing their PhD's eventually, in my similar area, so we'll keep coming across each other academically in the future! We've made a promise to one day footnote each otehrs' work at least once. ;)

    Stallion: Yeah undergrad was a totally different experience. They became like family! Obviously this has been different since it's only been one year as opposed to four so there's no way we've become as close as we did in undergrad. But it was a pleasant surprise, let's put it that way. :)

    Stallion & JC: I was standing a bit behind my friend Mark who was fielding and I was about to take a picture of the bowler and batter from far and then suddenly the ball was coming right for us and he dove to catch it just as I was clicking! Suffice it to say, he saved the ball from hitting me in the face!

    By Blogger Kleio, at 6/04/2006 3:26 pm  

  • What a fun day! You inspire people to do more creative stuff, but then when I get home from a LOOOONG day at work, cooking pasta and curling up with my O to watch The Soprano's is all I want to do! You need to move back here to get us off our couch! We need more outings like the desert trip, etc. I think edo and anon and you and P and red and A and me and my O and our friends H and B really merge well into an extremely hilarious group! So we need to do stuff together more often...

    By Blogger Lola, at 6/06/2006 8:11 am  

  • LOL I love all the letters! :) Well yeah our group in Kuwait is quite creative and active. But now I have a feeling that when I move back to Kuwait P and I are gonna end up like you and O - stay home, curl up on the couch with our two kittens (which we will be getting!) and watch DVDs. That to me sounds more appealing than anything else we could do!! But don't worry, we'll plan stuff when I'm back. In August once everyone's back from vacation it will be too hot to do outdoor stuff, but we can think of something creative. (Oh, and "anon" isn't who you think it is - it's the other one. LOL!)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 6/06/2006 1:35 pm  

  • I know what you mean - why go out when we can stay in is our motto :)

    WHO IS ANON???

    By Blogger Lola, at 6/08/2006 7:14 pm  

  • LOL Anon is "Orientalism" boy!!! The "Desi". :)

    By Blogger Kleio, at 6/08/2006 10:47 pm  

  • Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/22/2006 12:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home