KaleidoKleio

Friday, September 21, 2007

One month


I miss London. I miss every single thing about the city. I miss the constant chill and the incessant rain. I miss walking home in the dark early evening and picking up some dinner from Sainsbury's. I miss the Christmas decorations that will be going up on Oxford Street ridiculously early in about a month. I even miss the noxious smell of my little street as I walk home at night. I miss having coffee and a croissant at Maison Bearteaux in Soho in the morning. I miss the smell of spilled beer on old carpet. I miss cursing at tourists who stop dead in their tracks at busy intersections and who stand on the left on tube escalators. I even miss watching out for the inspector on the 73 bus. I miss laying on my couch watching mindless television. I miss my flat - oh boy do I miss my lovely flat. I miss looking up and seeing Anthony Gormley's figure staring down at me. I miss John standing outside the shop smoking a cigarette and saying "y'aright?" to me as I walk up to my front door. I miss having a toastie at the Fopp café (although that one is moot since Fopp tragically shut down). I miss the south of the river. I miss everything. I want to go back.

"Teenage Winter" - Saint Etienne (download)

6 Comments:

  • More is yet to come sugar, you have taken the best out of it and more is yet to come. Hold on to these beautiful memories tight and keep them safe, for one day we can blow them joyfully together again and again. As you know I am not a big fan of London or England, but with you it was a whole new experience and I saw the true color of this magical city.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/22/2007 2:25 pm  

  • I used to enjoy going to the used books stalls by the Thames, then a cuppa sitting down facing the river and pondring.

    By Blogger Traveleer, at 9/23/2007 10:31 am  

  • Once you grow up; you can never go back home.

    By Blogger nibaq, at 9/23/2007 11:24 am  

  • P: Yeah yeah, suga suga! We're gonna take London by storm. :) It really is a magical city. There are so many different sides to it - so many colours and smells and sounds and flavours. No matter how much time you spend there, you will always be discovering and rediscovering it.

    Traveleer: I love the book stalls on the river! In Southbank right? You can spend hours just browsing. There is one vendor that sells really old maps. I love going to the stalls and then going to watch the skaters do their thing under the National Theatre. When the weather is nice they have deck chairs along the river near the Royal Festival Hall.

    Nibaq: I don't necessarily agree that you can never go back home. It's just that when "home" (the country) has changed so drastically that you no longer recognize it - that's when it becomes more difficult. But I do believe that you can continue to create many homes for yourself throughout your life. Maybe it's because I just got back, but right now I feel HOMEsick for London! But as long as my family is here, this is home.

    By Blogger Kleio, at 9/23/2007 12:12 pm  

  • Yeah Kleio, This is exactly where I meant, the Southbank. But I try to avoid the skaters becaause I always have the vision that one is gonna fly and crash into me heheh. I like the live statues(dont know what they call them) they are very creative and patient. They can stand still for a long time.

    By Blogger Traveleer, at 9/25/2007 8:33 am  

  • Traveleer: LOL about the skaters. You're right, but I still love watching them. As for the statues, you can usually find those guys a bit further up the river near the County Hall building. Yeah, some are really talented. They're usually art students trying to make some extra money on the side. There's also a great "invisible man" that you can always find in Covent Garden.

    By Blogger Kleio, at 9/26/2007 1:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home